Road safety engineering measures may reduce casualties by 6.5%. However, the rather high cost of traditional infrastructure construction / adaptations is a prohibiting factor. The combination of new technologies with existing infrastructure may lead to much more cost-efficient solutions.
IN-SAFETY project aims to use intelligent, intuitive and cost-efficient combinations of new technologies and traditional infrastructure best practice applications, in order to enhance the forgiving and self-explanatory nature of roads, by:
- Building consensus on priorities for regulation and standardisation processes and assessing the potential and cost-effectiveness of combined use of such new technologies (ADAS, IVIS) and innovative HMI concepts.
- Developing and testing new simulation models (micro and macro) and risk analysis tools, to estimate the safety of road environments.
- Developing training tools and curricula for road, TMIC and tunnel operators, focusing on the use of new technologies.
- Harmonising / optimising vertical and horizontal signing and personalising their information to the specific needs and wants of each user.
- Issuing priority implementation scenarios, guidelines for further research and policy recommendations for cost-efficient road environment development, road safety assessment and inspection, including new technological elements.
To achieve its goal, IN-SAFETY project will base its work on the results of the following previous initiatives.
Action for advanced Driver assistance and Vehicle control systems Implementation, Standardisation, Optimum use of the Road network and Safety
TRAVELler and traffic information systems - GUIDElines for the enhancement of integrated information provision services
System for Effective Assessment of Driver Vigilance and Warning According to Traffic Risk Estimation
COmmunication Multimedia Unit Inside CAR
Intelligent Mobility Agent for Complex Geographic Environments
Integration of Navigation and Anti-collision for Rural Traffic Environment
Globally applicable Area Disaggregated General Ecosystem Toolbox
Anti-Collision Autonomous Support and
Safety Intervention System
SAFEty STAndards for Road design and redesign
Cost-effective, Sustainable and Innovative Upgrading Methods for Fire Safety in Existing Tunnels